Thursday, May 5, 2011

#7 Answers i got from the BBC teachers

Message 1.
Posted by Eunice (U14860878) on Thursday, 5th May 2011 (9 Hours Ago)

hi, everyone...
few days ago, a student asked me a question which has confused me for couple of days..

i tried to find the answer on the internet, but it was in vain.

So can you tell me if there is difference between the two : run into and bump into?

when can we use the two phrase? and Sb can be bump into 's subject, but not run into?

i will really appreciate your help!
Eunice

Link to this forum: Run into = Bump into?

Report message1

Message 2, in reply to message 1.
Posted by Robert (U2283314) on Thursday, 5th May 2011 (7 Hours Ago)

Taken literally, to "run into" something is usually more serious than to "bump into" something.

Taken figuratively, they mean essentially the same thing.

"I ran into George today at "Enrico's".

"I bumped into George today at "Enrico's".

Either one is fine.

My personal comment:

I am quite amazed about their efficiency to answer questions. I don't know maybe my question is too easy to answer, i just got only one reply ..but i still happy about that! After all, at least, i got one, haha. Actually, I have asked others the question, but i receive different explanations. In my opion, usage of words is really a profession that need us spend more time and effort, because we all know that language will change with the time, and sometimes it is hard to set a rule but depend on the situation.

1 comment:

  1. Hope this forum could help you solve the language-related quesetion in the future, as a language learner and a teacher as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete